IBM Course Code: WB011
In this 5-day course, students learn about business process management (BPM) process analysis and improvement methods and techniques, how to inventory and prioritize processes, and how to make their organizations and business units process-oriented.
This interactive course uses a collaborative learning environment to teach best-practice processes that help organizations with the decomposition of a business unit or group within an enterprise. The course also offers hands-on demonstrations, and uses student-supplied processes as a case study for exercises designed to reinforce the concepts and skills covered in the lectures.
The course begins with an overview of business process management and change management concepts. Students learn about managing upstream and downstream impacts, and the cross-functional importance of processes to the overall objectives of an organization. Students also learn about important concepts and activities such as process analysis, process improvement, working with as-is and to-be processes, Business Process Modeling Notation (BPMN), identifying and working with key performance indicators (KPIs), and developing an inventory of processes.
In addition, the course introduces students to IBM Blueworks Live, which is a software as a service (SaaS) offering that can help organizations quickly document and improve business processes by enabling collaboration and process automation in a secure, cloud-based environment.
What You'll Learn
- Describe business process management (BPM) and its benefits to an organization
- Document process opportunities and attach relevant references to clarify requirements
- Map high-level activities and participants in a business process using Blueworks Live
- Generate and refine a detailed process diagram using Blueworks Live
- Establish a change management plan to garner acceptance and buy-in for process improvement initiatives
- Document detailed processes through validation and enhancement of blueprints including key inputs and outputs, as well as known issues and impacts
- Facilitate process discovery sessions
- Create a detailed list of areas of opportunity
- Generate a prioritized list of opportunities for improvement
- Identify key performance indicators (KPIs) for a process
- Identify next steps for process improvement initiatives
Who Needs to Attend
This intermediate course is designed for all project team members involved in definition, implementation, and administration of a process solution, and provides in-depth knowledge for team members who serve in the BPM Analyst role.
There are no prerequisites for this course.
There are no follow-ons for this course.
- Course introduction
- Business process management (BPM) overview
- Exercise: BPM assessment part I
- Exercise: BPM assessment part II
- Exercise: Case review and BPM
- Ensuring a process-driven culture
- Exercise: Process-driven culture assessment
- Exercise: Case review and process-driven culture
- Change management tools
- Exercise: Change management assessment
- Exercise: Case review and change management
- Introduction and Blueworks Live hands-on mapping
- Best practices and tips for discovery and blueprinting
- Analyzing the process using BPM methodology
- Exercise: Blueprinting the as-is process
- Process Value Add Analysis
- Exercise: Analyzing the as-is blueprint by Value Add Analysis
- Using a priority matrix as a roadmap for process improvements
- Exercise: Analyzing the as-is problems and prioritizing improvements
- Blueprinting the to-be process
- Exercise: Creating a to-be blueprint
- Exercise: Preparing user stories for estimation
- Key performance indicators (KPIs)
- Exercise: Identifying key performance indicators (KPIs)
- Importing the to-be process into WebSphere Lombardi Edition
- Playback Zero
- Process Optimizer
- Inventory overview
- Exercise: Inventory assessment
- Case review and inventory
- Course summary