IBM Course Code: OL380
This course is designed primarily to teach experienced IBM i RPG IV programmers how to use embedded SQL in IBM i RPG IV programs.
As a secondary purpose, you also learn to create and use simple SQL stored procedures.
What You'll Learn
- Code embedded SQL statements in RPG IV programs
- Create and use of stored procedures
Who Needs to Attend
This intermediate course is for experienced IBM i RPG IV programmers who want to learn how to use SQL as a means to perform Input/Output (I/O) to access DB2 for i in their applications.
You should complete the following courses (or have the equivalent skills taught in these courses):
- IBM i DB2 and SQL School (OD470)
- Accessing the IBM i Database using SQL (OL370)
- Developing IBM i Applications Using SQL (OL380)
There are no follow-ons for this course.
Unit 1. SQL review
Unit 2. Using embedded SQL
- Introducing embedded SQL
- Lab exercise: Change CHAIN to SELECT
- Writing programs that use embedded SQL
- Error handling
- Lab exercise: Changing native to SQL I/O
- Using a cursor for multiple row result set
- Lab exercise: Using a cursor
- Using embedded SQL (continued)
- Dynamic embedded SQL
- Lab exercise: Dynamic embedded SQL
Unit 3. An overview of stored procedures
- Introducing stored procedures
- External stored procedures
- Lab exercise: Create a stored procedure