IBM Course Code: AN960
Learn how to implement and use IBM Systems Director VMControl 2.3 on Power Systems. The course shows how IBM Systems Director helps in a cloud architecture, and focuses on the management of virtual servers and virtual appliances in a virtualized environment.
Using VMControl 2.3, learn to:
- Automate the management of a virtualized infrastructure on Power
- Improve workload resiliency; and
- Reduce deployment time for new virtual servers.
VMControl is a plug-in for IBM Systems Director. This course does not cover IBM Systems Director implementation.
Hands-on lab exercises reinforce each lecture and give you practical experience.
Access Your Class Recording for Six Months
Enjoy six months of access to a fully indexed and searchable recording of your class when you choose our
Virtual Classroom Live learning experience.
What You'll Learn
- Describe the basic concepts associated with cloud computing
- Describe the differences between a private cloud and a public cloud
- Discuss how IBM Systems Director VMControl 2.3 facilitates the cloud computing on Power Systems.
- Describe and explain the VMControl terminology, such as Virtual server, virtual appliance, image repository, OVF image, and system pools
- Describe the capabilities of IBM Systems Director VMControl 2.2 plug-in, such as the following:
- Create and manage virtual servers, virtual appliances, and workloads.
- Create and discover image repositories
- Create and manage system pools
- Install IBM Systems Director VMControl 2.3 plug-in onto an IBM Systems Director management server 18.104.22.168
- Navigate IBM Systems Director VMControl 2.3 Dashboard User Interface.
- Perform tasks utilizing IBM System Director VMControl on selected managed end-points.
- Capture virtual servers
- Deploy virtual appliances using local storage pool
Who Needs to Attend
This advanced course is for individuals responsible for implementing and managing a virtualized infrastructure on POWER Systems including:
- AIX technical support individuals
- System administrators
- Systems engineers
- System architects
You should have experience with IBM Systems Director. This may be met by attending:
- IBM Systems Director 6.2 for Power Systems I: Installation and Management (AX940) (AN940)
There are no follow-ons for this course.
- Unit 1: Introduction to Cloud computing
- Unit 2: IBM Systems Director VMControl overview
- Exercise 1: Introduction to the Lab environment
- Unit 3: IBM Systems Director VMControl 2.3 planning and installation
- Exercise 2: Installing and configuring IBM Systems Director VMControl 2.3 onto an IBM Director server
- Unit 4: IBM Systems VMControl User Interface and common management tasks
- Exercise 3: Navigating through the VMControl User Interface
- Unit 5: Managing Virtual appliances and Image repository
- Exercise 4: Creating virtual appliances
- Unit 6: Virtual Appliance Deployment
- Exercise 5: Deploying a Virtual Appliance
- Unit 7: IBM Systems Director VMControl 2.3 Problem determination
- Exercise 6: IBM Systems Director VMControl 2.3 Problem determination
- Optional Exercise: Accessing a DS6800 Storage Subsystem with IBM Systems Director Storage Manager Extension