IBM Course Code: TOS39
This course covers all of the functions necessary to keep IBM® Tivoli® Storage Manager 6.3 and 6.4 running smoothly in a small- to medium-sized business that has Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery (TSM SUR) installed. This class is ideal for environments where storage administration is a part-time function. In this class, you learn how to protect your environment with minimal configuration, using the Tivoli Storage Manager default settings, when appropriate. You explore the tasks necessary for daily operations such as backing up and restoring critical files needed for recovery. These files include the Tivoli Storage Manager server database and recovery logs, storage pools, and client data. You also learn how to manage storage pool volumes, prepare removable media, and monitor events using query commands and system monitoring tools. The student exercises are written for Microsoft Windows 2008 64-bit.
What You'll Learn
After you complete this course, you can perform the following tasks in a Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery (TSM SUR) environment:
- Describe the basic components and concepts of Tivoli Storage Manager.
- Describe the components of Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery.
- Use different interfaces to interact with Tivoli Storage Manager.
- Perform the tasks associated with protecting the Tivoli Storage Manager database, recovery log, and client data.
- Automate and schedule server functions and client sessions.
- Work with storage media and devices.
- Prepare media for offsite storage.
- Describe client functions.
- Manage backup, restore, archive, and retrieve operations.
- Monitor daily operations.
- Optimize settings for small- to medium-sized businesses.
Who Needs to Attend
This course is for administrators and operators in a small- to medium-sized business, managing less than 10 Tivoli Storage Manager servers.
- Basic Windows 2008 management skills
There are no follow-ons for this course.
Unit 1: IBM Tivoli Storage Manager overview
- Lesson 1: Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery Environment
- Lesson 2: IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Extended Edition components
- Lesson 3: Basic concepts
Unit 2: Getting started
- Lesson 1: Configuring the server
- Lesson 2: Installing and configuring the backup archive client
- Lesson 3: Starting and stopping the server
- Lesson 4: Privileges
- Lesson 5: Administrative client interfaces
- Lesson 6: Backup archive client interfaces
- Lesson 7: Using the interfaces to enter commands
- Lesson 8: QUERY commands
Unit 3: Storage pool operations
- Lesson 1: Storage pools, hierarchies, and storage pool volumes
- Lesson 2: Data movement
Unit 4: Backup archive clients
- Lesson 1: Client interfaces
- Lesson 2: Registering a client with the server
- Lesson 3: Managing client options
- Lesson 4: Types of Tivoli Storage Manager backups
- Lesson 5: Backup operations
- Lesson 6: Restore operations
- Lesson 7: Archiving and retrieving
Unit 5: Managing the database
- Lesson 1: The database and recovery logs
- Lesson 2: Managing database space
Unit 6: Protecting the database and storage pools
- Lesson 1: Backing up and restoring the Tivoli Storage Manager database
- Lesson 2: Storage pool backup and recovery
Unit 7: Managing storage media
- Lesson 1: Using volumes and media
- Lesson 2: Storing data on volumes
- Lesson 3: Preparing volumes for use
- Lesson 4: Media management with Disaster Recovery Manager
- Lesson 5: Reusing backup tapes
- Lesson 6: Media integrity
Unit 8: Scheduling and monitoring daily operations
- Lesson 1: Client and administrative scheduling
- Lesson 2: Daily operations and scheduled maintenance
- Lesson 3: Monitoring the server
Unit 9: Optimizing Tivoli Storage Manager in a small to medium sized business
- Lesson 1: Policy management basics
- Lesson 2: Optimizing data storage
- Lesson 3: Default Performance options